Star Inn dinner was wrapping up when devastating fire engulfed Michelin restaurant

A Star Inn dinner revealed the moment staff evacuated guests as a fire engulfed the Michelin-starred restaurant.

About 40 firefighters spent hours battling Wednesday night’s blaze that reduced the North Yorkshire restaurant “to ashes”.

Photos taken Thursday morning showed that the thatched roof of the 14th-century building had been destroyed, the location revealing that staff had been “devastated”.

Read more: Live updates from the Star Inn fire scene

Now a customer who was eating there has spoken of the drama that unfolded as he finished his meal.

“We were having dinner there and it was after 10pm. There were a few of us left at one end of the restaurant,” said Martin Cook.

“The next thing we know is that a couple came back and that set off the alarm that went off inside.

Photos show the aftermath of the Star Inn fire

“The staff were absolutely brilliant, they took us all to the backyard … and soon after, about ten minutes later, the first fire engine arrived, so it was really quick.

“Right now, our only loss would probably be our coats.”

The food lover, who had stayed at the nearby Pheasant Hotel, shared his grief over last night’s events.

He added: “It is such a shame it is such a fancy place and what can you say?”

Fire investigators were at the scene this morning to assess the damage, as they searched for clues as to the cause of the blaze.

Celebrities including Teesside’s Steph McGoven shared their dismay at the blaze. Tweeting the place Harome, she wrote; “Oh no! It’s awful. I hope you’re all okay.”

Photos show the aftermath of the Star Inn fire
Photos show the aftermath of the Star Inn fire

Earlier, the chef and boss of the place, Andrew Pern, wrote on Twitter: “It has been a long night so far.”

Teesside Live has contacted Mr. Pern for further comment. The chef also operates several other North Yorkshire locations, including Whitby’s Star Inn The Harbor.

In the latest North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue update, he confirmed that the operation has since been significantly reduced from last night’s peak.

“The crews have finished mitigating the hot spots,” he said online.

Video upload

Video unavailable

“The aerial ladder platform and a fire engine remain on the scene to assist with fire investigations.

“The fire in the thatched roof of the building caused extensive damage to the roof and the attic. Crews worked hard to keep the fire from spreading all the way up the thatched roof, meaning one end of the roof and the ground floor were saved from the blaze.

“The incident remains open for revisits later today and investigations into the fires into the cause are continuing.”

Go here to learn more about Teesside updates, news and reviews

Source link

Comments are closed.